[Xiph-Advocacy] Artwork resources.

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 10:16:05 PST 2008

On 1/19/08, Cory K. <coryisatm at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> This is really just too broad a generalization and can't agree.

Same.

> I never did. I simply showed a font that was close and never said this
> *should* be used instead.

The DejaVu aren't bad but still far from perfect.  The FreeSomething
are all awful as far as I have seen.  Nobody is opposing free fonts,
though.  Just gotta find one that looks good and professional.

> (...) is contrary to what I always felt Xiph was about.

Make love not war.  Xiph is about free media, free software, and free
licenses.  Don't get the wrong idea.

> you've still given a unnecessarily aggressive
> response.

It's the stress.  FOMS is right around the corner and preparing to
travel to Australia is tiring.  I hear the place is full of ninja
kangaroos, so please cut some slack.

> > Theora is a logo that never got settled, just so you know.

By the way, Monty, the Wikipedia et al people are asking if we can
license the logos under a free license.  Say CC-BY, or CC-BY-SA.  If
you'll decide on this, please inform me, so I may rely the message to
them.

> So besides all the font chat, (which isn't really the point here) what
> about a place on the wiki with official art/logos to be used?

Sure.

> Press and fan resource material.

http://spreadopenmedia.org

Help is welcome here, Cory.

> I come from a very D.I.Y. background and would love to have official
> logos to use the help spread free media.

The SOM ones are under the Public Domain and only use free fonts as
far as I am aware.

-Ivo