[Xiph-Advocacy] Hi Ivo, some questions to join

JorSol jorsol at jorsol.tk
Thu Feb 21 19:57:15 PST 2008

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 8:19 PM, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves <justivo at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Free formats.  There is a big difference between open and free
> formats, and I think one of these days I will write an article about
> it.  Basically, though, Xvid is open, Theora is free.  Wikimedia won't
> use the likes of Xvid because of the patents associated with the
> format, so even though a format may be open, it doesn't mean it's
> "free" of patents and other restrictions.

I generally understand the difference of both... but in wikipedia the
definition of it: An *open format* is a published specification for storing
digital data, usually maintained by a non-proprietary standards
organization, and free of legal restrictions on use. Maybe this is wrong to
understand right?

But thats ok I like free format instead of open format for the purpose
(since in Spanish there is no ambiguity for free which means "libre" :-)

One of the questions that I want to be clear is about PDF... I know it is an
open format... but can be considered free format? As far I know there is no
restrictions about it use or any patent claim that Adobe own... and there is
the project gnupdf.org that intent to implement a high-quality library for
the PDF file format, but since you don't even mention it on SOM I'm not
clear about the status of it...

I really believe that PDF must be supported since is an ISO standard and can
be implemented in free software.

--
JorSol
http://jorsol.blogspot.com