[Xiph-Advocacy] Would giving out SOM email accounts be a good idea?

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 06:40:12 PDT 2008

On 4/7/08, JorSol <mailing at jorsol.com> wrote:
> Well, I think that is necessary to define the goals to reach, what are the
> objectives of spreedopenmedia.org...

According to Milestone 4 (in the wiki), our new goals are 1) building
a strong community around SOM to carry on the occasional campaign and
2) creating the SHARE application.

> more than having a space on the web with some information about free
> formats.

This, however, is also important.

> I'm not sure what is the purpose of the campaign Folding at home, how this is
> going to promote free formats? I personally use BOINC and like to stay a
> little independent without team. A campaing is MailOgging, not
> Folding at home.

Completely correct.  I intended to start a whole bunch of campaigns,
but the complete lack of a community to carry them on pretty much put
the whole thing to rest.  The F at H campaign was like many of similar
ideas I had to bring people to SOM.

> If you want a community around SOM you should go first for GNU/Linux
> communities, have "contacts" with many communities as possible, and make
> them help to promote free formats, show them how to contribute to the
> project.

I actually do that, but the free software world, or open source as it
likes to call itself likes to preach more than actually do something.

I also remember being banned once of the PCLinuxOS forum because they
thought I was spamming, as I posted a message regarding what SOM was
all about.

> You have some important and missing information in the site, how to play,
> see or use the free formats... a link in the front page "install codecs"
> don't help much, you have to create a own section on how to use the free
> formats in different platforms, application, etc. the most easy way
> possible, and have that info accessible the most easy way too. And not just
> Ogg even if it is the main format to promote.

Fair point.

> Some suggestion I have to the site is to add image to the posts, it get
> really boring to read or see much text.

Not so easy, considering one can just do a GIS and post the first
thing that comes up.  Trying to track free images to use on posts
takes far more time than I have.

> And in the FAQ you put avoid MP3, AAC, OOXML, but the question is why?, put
> somewhere why should be avoided again the easy way possible.

Because those are open formats, not free formats.  This issue is
hinted but not completely addressed in "It's about the quality, it's
about the freedom", so I'm working on a new article with the title of
"free formats vs open formats".

> The site, well, it looks a little unprofessional, and simplistic, the
> navigation is not the most useful, maybe add more colored seccions, a

Your message seems to have been cut.  Still, I understand what you are
saying.  Redesigning (yet again) the main page is on my to-do list.

> These are simple suggestions in the air.

Thanks.

-Ivo