[Xiph-Advocacy] Would giving out SOM email accounts be a good idea?

JorSol mailing at jorsol.com
Mon Apr 7 00:31:30 PDT 2008

Well, I think that is necessary to define the goals to reach, what are the
objectives of spreedopenmedia.org... and how to promote the free formats,
more than having a space on the web with some information about free
formats.

I'm not sure what is the purpose of the campaign Folding at home, how this is
going to promote free formats? I personally use BOINC and like to stay a
little independent without team. A campaing is MailOgging, not Folding at home.

If you want a community around SOM you should go first for GNU/Linux
communities, have "contacts" with many communities as possible, and make
them help to promote free formats, show them how to contribute to the
project.

You have some important and missing information in the site, how to play,
see or use the free formats... a link in the front page "install codecs"
don't help much, you have to create a own section on how to use the free
formats in different platforms, application, etc. the most easy way
possible, and have that info accessible the most easy way too. And not just
Ogg even if it is the main format to promote.

Some suggestion I have to the site is to add image to the posts, it get
really boring to read or see much text.

And in the FAQ you put avoid MP3, AAC, OOXML, but the question is why?, put
somewhere why should be avoided again the easy way possible.

Create links to articles in wikipedia for Ogg, etc, and others sites that
provide important and useful info about this formats.

The site, well, it looks a little unprofessional, and simplistic, the
navigation is not the most useful, maybe add more colored seccions, a

These are simple suggestions in the air.

--
Jorge Solórzano
http://www.jorsol.com