[Xiph-Advocacy] welcome from bytesfree.org

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 15:22:54 PDT 2007

On 9/16/07, Cyrus Mack <cyrusmack at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was very pleased to discover the Spread Open Media project.

Thank you.

> The very premise of bytesfree.org is that you cannot have the
> right to education or a level playing field if you
> have artificial barriers to entry designed solely to keep people from
> participating, ie. proprietary, closed formats. It is my position that any
> platform for human rights must include the right to access legally-obtained
> information. I cannot see how the digital divide problem can ever be solved
> without official recognition of that right.

Yes, this is very true, though the point of using free formats is lost
on some individuals -- even those who wish to promote the idea of Open
Media.  One may only have Open Media if the formats behind it are free
and open.

> I'm very impressed with what you're trying to do, even if our approaches
> differ. I would like to see how we might work together going forward.

Thank you again.  Our approaches may differ where SOM will take the
pratical approach of promoting the formats for their merits and
through the community.  It's not limited there, but it's the basic
idea.

We are, of course, interested in working together with other initiatives.

-Ivo