[Xiph-Advocacy] welcome from bytesfree.org

Cyrus Mack cyrusmack at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 11:16:54 PDT 2007

Hi there,

I was very pleased to discover the Spread Open Media project. I run
bytesfree.org, which is a site dedicated to the link between digital rights
or information rights and human rights. The very premise of bytesfree.org is
that you cannot have the right to education or a level playing field if you
have artificial barriers to entry designed solely to keep people from
participating, ie. proprietary, closed formats. It is my position that any
platform for human rights must include the right to access legally-obtained
information. I cannot see how the digital divide problem can ever be solved
without official recognition of that right. For more on this topic, see
http://www.bytesfree.org/wiki/index.php/RightsPaper

I'm very impressed with what you're trying to do, even if our approaches
differ. I would like to see how we might work together going forward.

Thanks,
Cyrus Mack