[Advocacy] persuading mobile phone manufacturers to implement Vorbis support

Aaron Whitehouse lists at whitehouse.org.nz
Mon May 28 08:23:16 PDT 2007

Hi,

> What could be preventing
> manufacturers to implement it?

According to
http://xiph.org/minutes/2006/10/200610_meeting.txt

"<xiphmont> Vorbis [has] a specific design limitation that prevented
wildfire adoption.
<xiphmont> I made a guess that DSPs were moving toward general purpose
parts (like ARM) with offboard DRAM.
[...]
<xiphmont> I designed Vorbis to need very little CPU, but relatively
large memory.
<xiphmont> The guess was off.
<xiphmont> DSPs went to high-er and higher clock rates, but even less
onboard memory.
<xiphmont> And I plan to correct that in Ghost.
<xiphmont> [that is, Ghost must have a smaller memory footprint]
[...]
<xiphmont> Anyway, manufacturers *all* wanted vorbis... until the ones
not using ARM found out they needed a different DSP to do it.
<xiphmont> Very few managed to make it fit.
[...]
<xiphmont> And that is why VOrbis stalled out at the adoption plateau
it reached.
<jmworx> What's the part that's taking that much mem?
<xiphmont> two things:
[...]"

I hope Monty doesn't mind me posting his comments to the list. Please
correct me if you think it misrepresents what you meant.

Regards,

Aaron