[Advocacy] persuading mobile phone manufacturers to implement Vorbis support

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Tue May 8 02:27:44 PDT 2007

On 06/05/07, Alexander van Loon <svloon at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> [an outline of Ogg Vorbis availability on handsets]
>
> My final question is, does the Xiph.Org Foundation actively try to
> persuade mobile phone/media player manufacturers to implement Ogg Vorbis
> support out-of-the-box in their devices?

That's a great idea, and you have obviously put some thought into the
requirements for including Ogg Vorbis support. Perhaps the Xiph
community (which you and I are part of) should send an open letter to
phone manufacturers clarifying our aims, suggesting the path to
implementation and outlining the benefits. Would you like to draft
such a letter on the Xiph wiki?

In the longer term, it would be useful to work together with groups
like the W3C's Mobile Web Initiative (http://www.w3.org/Mobile/) and
the Gnome Mobile and Embedded Initiative
(http://www.gnome.org/mobile/) towards these goals.

cheers,

Conrad.