[Advocacy] Re: Spread Open Media dot Org Update

Cameron Parkins cameronparkins at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 11:32:20 PDT 2007

Jon has a great point - the lack of available plugins for Open
Formats on an open-platform such as Wordpress is both mildly ironic
and frustrating for the "mildly-above-average" user (of which I
consider myself). I know very little about modifying the php for
plugins and thus I find the idea of going in and modifying actual
code quite intimidating.

This is important for two reasons, one specific to the technical
implementation of the project and one to the overall rhetoric of the
movement.

Firstly, my assistance in modifying plugins will be near-coexistent.
I'll continue to hack away at the WP theme and blog, but this is the
extent of my technical abilities.

The more interesting piece of information that can be taken away form
this is how do we expect Open Formats to take off without the ability
for average and "mildly-above-average" users to integrate these
formats easily? Obviously this gets at a central issue that SOM will
hope to solve - taking Open Formats from the more obscure to the more
commonplace. I think keeping the average user in mind is very
important though. To really spread open-media we have to always keep
the technical lowest-common-denominator in the back of our mind.

I'll post these thoughts a bit more eloquently to the blog...

-Cameron

---
Cameron Parkins
www.superhumanoids.com
AIM: cam3ran

"Among a coward's weapons, cynicism is the nastiest of all" - Tracy
Kidder channeling Paul Farmer