[Advocacy] Re: spreadopenmedia.org is (almost) alive

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 17:19:06 PDT 2007

On 7/8/07, Cameron Parkins <cameronparkins at gmail.com> wrote:
> Any presentations/definitions you guys have, please send my way. It'll
> surely make the announcement more well rounded.

I have written the following text to be used on some kind of About
page.  Not only does it state what SOM is, its mission, and what it
offers to people, but also explain what OM formats are all about.
Throughly and short, I think.  If you guys agree with it, I'll also
make a PT translation.

And Cameron, feel free to use whatever you think worthy for the announcement.

Spread Open Media is the one web site where you'll find everything you
need to know about the media formats that will help build a better
world.  And if you believe in our cause, you may want to tell everyone
you know about those new formats, because ignorance is their worst
enemy.  So come join the fight to free the content you care from the
corporations that want to restrict your rights and lock your files.

On SOM you will find campaigns to join, advertisement material to use,
tutorials to help your friends, a database of products that work with
Open Media formats, and a directory of cool stuff to watch or listen
to.

Open Media formats allow for innovation, quality, and freedom.
Through them, and only thorugh them, do projects like Wikipedia and
Creative Commons make sense.  Through them, and only through them,
will video and audio work across the web as smoothly as images do now.
 It's time to promote them.  It's time to Spread Open Media.

-Ivo