[Xiph-Advocacy] The Main Page of SOM

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 23:25:16 PST 2007

Hello list,

The SOM site is in the process of a redesign (check it out and do
comment), and I have been drafting a simple but (I think) efficient
main page (not online yet), so the idea wasn't dropped.

I'm also adding the banners that have won the last OCAL contest months
ago.  It was really irresponsible of me not to have added them
straight away and, while I could number a lot of reasons why it did
not happen, it would not change the fact that I likely disappointed
Tom and Marco.

Ultimately, the multi-language part of the site is being hacked too,
and at least a Spanish version will be online, likely followed by a
less complete French version.

Now back in the subject of the main page (you're still following me,
right?), here's what I wanted the list to know: there will be links to
content-providing sites and this is a good time to establish partners
and affiliates who'll link back to us while we link to them.
Hopefully, that is.

My idea right now is to link to Jamendo for free music, Wikimedia
Commons for videos, OCAL for SVG clipart, and LibriVox for audio
books.  I want to hear your opinion and perhaps suggestions for better
links.  Me?  I'm not totally happy with some of those picks: for
instance Jamendo and LibriVox are not 100% free formats (they offer
MP3 along with Vorbis/Speex).  Also, they're unlikely to link back to
the SOM project.

If you care about this subject this is the time to step in and make
your opinion count.

-Ivo