[Xiph-Advocacy] Re: The Open Letter to Nokia

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Tue Dec 25 03:40:00 PST 2007

Alexander van Loon wrote:
> Hello Ivo,
>
> I'm CC'ing this reply to the advocacy mailing list as well, because
> that's where my effort to write a letter to Nokia started.
> Unfortunately I'm a serious procrastinator and I haven't gotten any
> further than the draft on the xiph.org wiki -
> http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/Letter_to_Nokia - of the letter to Nokia.
>
> I've followed the news concerning Nokia and Theora, and I agree with you
> that sending them a letter now isn't going to be useful.
>
> I've had it with Nokia, they seem to be quite stubborn. My personal
> strategy will be to let my wallet do the talking instead of a letter, I
> intend to buy an open source Neo1973 smartphone with Openmoko -
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo1973 - which will play the xiph.org
> codecs and container formats out of the box AFAIK. The mass-market
> version is nearly ready, maybe March 2008
> (http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2007-December/012267.html).
>
> On the other hand, currently the devices which can play the xiph.org
> codecs and container formats are relatively hidden on the wiki -
> http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/VorbisHardware - if this information was
> accessible from the xiph.org front page, with an easy and more
> attractive interface, interested users could be reached more easily to
> educate them about compatible hardware. That might help a bit.

For your information, vorbis is supported in CorePlayer (not theora for
the moment) (from ogg, matroska and even mp4) and runs on all Windows
Smartphones, all Palm smartphones and all Symbian smartphones (s60 and
UIQ) including the ones from Nokia. The Neo1973 has the specs of a
smartphone (and CP actually supports Qtopia too so should run there as
well) so it cannot really be compared to more "integrated" phones with
less CPU and no 3rd party apps.

Steve