[Advocacy] iAudio X5 says it supports "Ogg" not "Vorbis"

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Sun Nov 13 17:41:22 PST 2005

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 09:34:30AM +0000, Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Monty,
>
> > With a few notable exceptions, the community
> > submissions were deeply amateurish.
>
> It's ironic that you're down on amateurs, given that many
> contributions to Xiph.org projects are unpaid.

'Unpaid' and 'amateurish' mean different things.  I note again that,
aside from the fish, all the artwork *is* based on or directly refined
from community submissions.

There have also been a number of really good submissions that I
couldn't use because they weren't consistent with what we already had.

> > Attached is a both the initial branding package from last year as
> > well as some of the more refined/finished logos from the most
> > recent deliverable.
>
> I'm afraid that you've proved the point that you don't understand
> hardware branding.

The branding I forwarded does not include wordmarks or the other
things you rightly noted weren't there.

"Have a look at this, but it's unfinished and missing stuff."
"You dolt, this is unacceptable!  It's missing stuff!"

> I have been trying to be constructive, but it's not easy when your
> contribution is dismissed out of hand.

This is a touchy subject because branding [that and and the comment
spec] seems to be a subject where every other comer capable of picking
up a crayon thinks that their idea is the only one worth considering.
It's not so much that I want to dismiss ideas out of hand as the
entire subject makes me want to go postal.  I'm really really tired of
people I've never met before feeling perfectly justified at getting
pushy, upset or abusive when I don't want to use an unsolicited
submission for one reason or another.  So now, I generally don't
accept them.  And for the record: Starting a petition is generally
going to piss me off even more.

(To be fair, most people submitting artwork are nicer than that, and I
don't get exasperated with people who are nice.  But if you're going
to start a 'I'm right and you're not only wrong, you're stupid'
flamewar, I can take and dish with the best.)

However, your submission was not accepted because you sent it after we
A: already spent money on starting what is already in progress B: you
indicated the direction was wrong and was to be changed.  Given that
Melissa has also had to beat off enough unsolicited advice from rank
amateurs to want to set people on fire, I doubt even more is going to
do any good whatsoever no matter how good that advice is.

Monty