[advocacy] is this list active?

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Wed Feb 25 16:51:48 PST 2004

On Thursday 26 February 2004 03:41, Daniel James wrote:
> > In referece to the OggCast suggestion, I think Icecast is a brand
> > on it's own right
>
> I don't think anyone outside the existing community knows what Icecast
> is. I can appreciate that there's probably an emotional attachment to
> the name, but it makes no sense in terms of branding.

You're probably right there - but I also don't think icecast is really a core
part of the "Xiph mission". The 'core' part of Xiph projects is to provide
free and open multimedia codecs, in my opinion.

We also do lots of application-level software - ranging from vorbis-tools, to
icecast, to cdparanoia. This stuff helps us to get exposure for the core
codecs, but is not really an end in itself.

(Opinions above are mine, not neccesarily Xiph's - but when I work on things
like vorbis and icecast, that's what I think).