[advocacy] Oh, no, logos again.

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Wed Oct 15 02:16:25 PDT 2003

> They can be printed easely on two colors

This is actually really important - one colour, even. If you compare
the old and new Apple logos, or the those of the BBC, you'll see that
both organisations have moved from multicoloured to monochrome logos.
It saves a ton of money when it comes to printing. In fact, the old
Apple logo was held up as an example of 'how to get it wrong' by
print buyers.

As much as I like the fish, it doesn't actually tell you anything you
need to know about Ogg, and the thor/hammer/snake logo is way too
cryptic.  Check out a typical DVD player (seemingly the convergence
device for digital formats now) and you'll see a dozen logos
indicating support for various formats, printed in black and no more
than a few millimetres high. If you want to see Ogg on there, it will
have to be a similar, simple logo.

As for Miguel's designs, I think they show promise. One thing I have
to say though, is that some people will read 099 instead of ogg - it
should be a more obvious 'g'. Maybe if a free software font could be
used throughout, that would avoid sublicensing problems too.

Cheers

Daniel