[advocacy] Oh, no, logos again.

Miguel A. Arévalo marevalo at marevalo.net
Tue Oct 14 16:05:33 PDT 2003

Hi all,

first of all I'm sorry about rising this subject again (and for my
spanglish), but as hardware support for Ogg Vorbis files start to appear
it hurt my eyes seeing things like this

http://www.marevalo.net/OggLogos/iriver_ihp120.jpg

on their packaging, so I think there should be a (possibly new) SET of
logos and a clear policy for using them as "official" logos for the
entire set of technologies and for every codec.

So here I go with my own proposal, you can find a whole set of logos in
different formats on:

http://www.marevalo.net/OggLogos/

Those logos are a _proof of concept_ but I like them for these reasons:

- They make clear that the official file extension is .ogg
- They can be printed easely on two colors and or hardware devices.
- They try to make clear that Ogg is the fileformat and Vorbis, Theora
and so on are kind of "properties".
- They try to follow stablished guidelines like the Compact Disc and
Digital Versatile Disc ones.

And, why I think the current logos are not ready for mass-cosumption ?

- At this moment the haven't been used cosistently (fish an thor).
- Current logos have too many details and colors for beeing printed on
hardware devices and/or physical media (CD, Zips and so...)
- No graphical relationship between those logos and .ogg file extension.
- I like them but they are too geek, like comparing FSF's gnu and Linux
penguin (I like both).

I also think there should be a policy on when can these (or any other
"official" Ogg logos) be used so the consumer has some security on what
is he buying in repect of support of any Ogg format, telling what points
of the different specifications and codecs must support the hardware
device (or software program) in order to show them in the packaging
and/or device itself. Just like these:

http://www.gnscd.com/cdlogo.htm

Ok, I've said it all, comments ?

Miguel A. Arévalo