[advocacy] Ogg radio?

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Mon Jun 30 02:30:18 PDT 2003

I've been listening to the Virgin Radio 96k stream - the technical
quality is excellent, so well done guys! For those list members
outside the UK who might not realise the significance, Virgin is a
'household name' company which also owns a major record label and a
nationwide chain of music shops (and an airline, etc etc).

This, and the BBC 7 DAB station - (which we know know is completely
automated, thanks to a cock-up where two streams were played mixed
together and nobody at the BBC realised for 20 minutes) gave me a
neat advocacy idea.

If we get a list of copyleft music tracks, recorded with vocal intros
if required, we could have an icecast server play them at random. Add
some inane DJ banter, station idents, some adverts for Vorbis etc,
and no-one would know that it wasn't a real radio station! Once the
playlist grew to a decent size, as long as new material was added on
a regular basis it could sound really good.

However, I know good ideas aren't much use without offers of help. We
have a studio with a vocal booth where we could record idents etc,
plus about 20-25 music tracks that could be added to the playlist.
We'd also need someone to admin the server and a reasonable amount of
bandwith to get started. Anyone interested in doing this?

Cheers

Daniel