[advocacy] W3C SVG considering using Vorbis

Jose Ramirez joseram
Tue Jul 22 12:27:00 PDT 2003

Dave H wrote:

> Jose Ramirez wrote:
>

>> There needs to be a new mindset on audio and video, and treat them
>> just like jpegs. Where you save your content in a safe format and
>> years from now it's still viable. I think the next phase of the Web,
>> the multimedia one, will need Vorbis and Theora, just like the first
>> Web needed jpegs.
>

> I totally agree!  I think you're preaching to the converted around here.
>  ;o)  It goes past audio and video, of course; open document formats
> (OASIS Open Office, DocBook, XHTML, or even ASCII plain text) are also
> vitally important for any document you still want to be able to read ten
> years after it was created.
>
> I'll see if I can add anything sensible to the discussion on the SVG
> mailing list in a bit...
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave

Since SVG looks to be adding some SMIL features, I can change some SMIL
2.0 examples to promote Vorbis, when Helix is capable. Sometimes a
working example that a person can download and play with, impresses them.

Jose

http://geocities.com/ramirez_j2001/index.html