[advocacy] Einstuerzende Neubauten

Daniel James daniel
Wed Jul 2 02:23:36 PDT 2003

> If an established group with a strong following can run
> this way, it doesn't necessarily mean a new, unheard of group can
> do the same.

Quite - but I also think there's a shake up on the way for the
industry where the new bands are concerned. At the moment, much of
the industry - eg studios, live venues, management, equipment
manufacturers, CD duplication places - appears to depend on unsigned
and independent bands which are basically self-financing their work.

As mentioned in the bownie.com guide to DIY recording, there are
plenty of people who will gladly take money from music projects which
aren't likely to be commercially viable.

If new bands, instead of going down the conventional route of
major-label-deal-chasing, decide to build up their audience via web
communities, this could alter the music economy radically. The bands'
known audience would reduce the risk for any label wishing to sign
them up - which should enable better deals all round.

However, I do wonder if the labels prefer to sign up young artists
who've only played a handful of gigs because they depend on a certain
amount of naivety when it comes to contract small print...

Cheers

Daniel