[advocacy] Re: ogg vorbis

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Fri Jul 11 02:44:17 PDT 2003

> I run a small label in London.
> What level of interest are you getting in yr format?

It's not my format, I just use it!

The number of artists and labels using the format appears to be
increasing steadily, and there is a new hardware player coming out
now with Vorbis support - the Neuros:

http://www.neurosaudio.com/

I think it's still early days for Vorbis, but - ignoring technical
quality and artistic freedom issues - from a label's point of view
it's one way to hedge your bets on formats.

It doesn't cost you anything to support (beyond the few minutes it
takes to make the files from a CD) so if MP3 or WMA starts getting
really expensive to use in future, then it would useful to have a
Vorbis infrastructure already in place. For the time being I think
most labels supporting Vorbis will supply MP3 as an alternative on
their download pages.

I think one thing that could force a large-scale move to Vorbis by
indpendent labels would be if the owners of MP3 started sending out
lawyer's letters demanding unpaid royalties stretching back several
years.

There is currently an exemption from MP3 royalties for labels with
less than US $100,000 annual turnover, but that could change in
future of course. And if you're employing a couple of staff you could
easily go over that amount - it might only represent about 10,000 CD
sales a year, which isn't exactly massive for a label with several
bands or artists.

The current royalty is 2% of revenue with an annual minimum of US
$2000 for MP3, or 3% and $3000 minimum for MP3PRO. Of course, if they
manage to wipe out all other formats, or Microsoft wins the formats
battle, we'll have to pay whatever they want in future to stay in the
game. If nothing else, that's a good reason to support a true free
music format.

Cheers

Daniel