[advocacy] Suggestions: Hardware info page on Vorbis.com?

Tom Felker tcfelker
Sun Jan 12 12:16:24 PST 2003

On Sat, 2003-01-11 at 21:13, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 04:02, Daniel James wrote:
> > >
> > > Has anyone estimated what it would cost a company to add this support?
>
> Tom Felker wrote:
> >
> > I would guess there's something more behind it, perhaps their lawyers
> > are paranoid.  When someone puts "open source" in quotes, you can tell
> > that they just don't get it.
>
> There's more to supporting an audio format than just initial development
> cost.  There's code maintenance too, and customer support, etc.
>
> Segher

Of course, I'm not saying it's easy.  I'm just a little insulted to have
written a nice, page-long email to them and gotten back the same line
they seem to give to anybody.  I'd like to talk to a real person, not
get some canned response written by a committee or a suit.

And it seems to me that that quote was written by somebody who hadn't
done any research on Vorbis at all, and has certainly never used any
open source.

What I was kinda hoping for was for them to tell me what their concerns
were, what their research had shown.  Oh, well.

--
Tom Felker

Wait a minute.  We haven't heard from me yet!  The nut with the
dynamite.
-- Homer, The Simpsons