[advocacy] Suggestions: Hardware info page on Vorbis.com?

Tom Felker tcfelker at mtco.com
Fri Jan 10 13:50:57 PST 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 04:02, Daniel James wrote:
> On this page it says:
>
> "UPDATE: Note from Evolution Technologies
>
> Evolution Technologies, Inc. is committed to support our consumers music
> appetite. We will support the formats that are consistent with both their
> desires and good business practices. While we have not ruled out supporting
> "open source" formats, we must first evaluate the acceptance levels with the
> buying public so that our organization can justify the expense of developing
> a new compatible CODEC. When the demand is sufficient, we will support the
> technology."
>
> Does support for Tremor in fact require "the expense of developing a new
> compatible CODEC"? Surely Xiph has done this for them already?
>
> Has anyone estimated what it would cost a company to add this support?
>
> Cheers
>
> Daniel

Yeah, Tremor's probably good for most of it.  Certainly not all, but it
wouldn't be nearly as hard as it would be if there were no such thing.

That quote seems to be the company line for anything about Ogg.  I sent
them an email a while ago, sort of a persuasive essay taking into
account the things that quote says, and got back the exact above quote.
That's pretty exasperating.  Maybe sometime I'll be persistent and at
least talk to a real person.

I would guess there's something more behind it, perhaps their lawyers
are paranoid.  When someone puts "open source" in quotes, you can tell
that they just don't get it.

--
Tom Felker

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.