[advocacy] A HOW-TO for adapting ID3/MP3 softwares?

Daniel James daniel
Thu Sep 5 01:42:13 PDT 2002

> They'd
> mutate from MP3 taggers to Ogg taggers with MP3 support. I wonder
> how many developers want to take this road - to me it'd sound less
> messy to just write a new tool with the new purpose in mind.

Just imagining that I'm the developer of an MP3 tool for a minute, I
would probably want to enhance my program with Ogg features rather
than rewrite it from scratch. The ability to edit tags from both
formats in one place would be a handy feature too - after all, MP3 is
the legacy format here.

A bonus to this approach is that the user can see how the Vorbis
comments are more extensive and flexible - when they click the box
'encode as MP3' then half the fields become greyed out.

Most tag editors will be used while embedded in other programs,
presumably? Rippers, recorders, editors etc? Perhaps a HOW-TO would
need to target the developers of those bigger programs too.

Cheers

Daniel