[advocacy] Xiph/Vorbis logo contest?

Tim Ivorson tim.ivorson at mailandnews.com
Sat Sep 14 00:26:20 PDT 2002

> I hate to say it, but the current Xiph logo
> is pretty ugly (too few polygons, colors, the fish itself looks boring,
> the background is too simplistic etc.)

The existing version is already linked in people's minds to ogg vorbis, so any
new logo would have a struggle on it's hands. Also it has the advantage that
it doesn't contain any writing (perhaps it would be useful if a version of the
logo was labelled xiph, ogg or vorbis, but anything else would require
translation) and that it still looks good at low resolutions and in few
colours. It would also be great in a winamp/xmms skin.

> The version at
> vorbis.com is much nicer, but it doesn't seem to be used anywhere else.

IMHO the nicest version is that used in Ogg Drop.

> The Ogg Vorbis logo itself is also very obscure (as if the name wasn't
> bad enough ;-)

The name is good. People don't confuse vorbis with anything else.

> and too complex for a logo (the small version used at
> vorbis.com is barely recognizable).

Agreed. For small resolutions vorbis needs a different logo. Why not just use
the xiph logo in such cases?