[advocacy] Xiph/Vorbis logo contest?

Erik Moeller moeller at scireview.de
Fri Sep 13 22:19:53 PDT 2002

I hate to say it, but the current Xiph logo
http://images.cafepress.com/zoom/1221790_zoom.jpg

is pretty ugly (too few polygons, colors, the fish itself looks boring,
the background is too simplistic etc.) -- no offense to the original
artist, it's still better than anything I could draw. The version at
vorbis.com is much nicer, but it doesn't seem to be used anywhere else.

The Ogg Vorbis logo itself is also very obscure (as if the name wasn't
bad enough ;-) and too complex for a logo (the small version used at
vorbis.com is barely recognizable).

I think that's a shame for such a professional project, especially since
Vorbis has huge exposure and could easily get other people to contribute
logos. There are many excellent graphics artists out there, and there
could be conditions: swordtail still used for Xiph, hammer+snail still
used for Vorbis. I think the swordtail is a beautiful fish and I'm sure
it could inspire some of the artists out there:

http://images.google.com/images?q=swordtail&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en

So I suggest the organization of a logo contest. I'd be willing to
manage the webpage and submissions (either off site or at vorbis.com if
you give me an FTP dir), and perhaps we could also organize some kind of
prize -- we could solicit donations on the page, half of which would go
to the contest winner, the other half to Xiph.

What do you think? As I said, I'd be glad to help with the process.

Regards,

Erik

--
Scientific Reviewer, Freelancer, Humanist -- Berlin / Germany
Phone: +49 (0)30 45491008 -- Web: http://www.humanist.de/erik

Patriotism is an ephemeral motive that scarcely ever outlasts
the particular threat to society that aroused it.
  -- Denis Diderot