[advocacy] DRM in OGG - A Proposal

Daniel James daniel
Mon Nov 11 06:28:31 PST 2002

> No offense, but you always refer to fair use like it doesn't exist.

As far as the labels are concerned, it doesn't. See

> And
> then hold the DMCA up like couple of stone tablets.

I hope DMCA does get negated in the courts, but law is serial and this seems
to be the current US law.

> You sound like some
> PR/FUD lackey working for the labels.

ha! ha! I imagine I'd be much better paid! I think I would be arguing that
current forms of DRM are valid, if I was.

I don't think Ogg is on the radar of the content industry yet. That's why we,
as Vorbis advocates, need ready answers to the questions that classic DRM
claims to address.

> I think I speak
> for everyone listening when I say that the DMCA does not take america's
> best interests to heart.

That depends who 'america' is.  Americans made this law, some of them at
least. But the sponsors of the legislation are multinational interests.

Cheers

Daniel