[advocacy] DRM in OGG - A Proposal

Daniel James daniel
Mon Nov 11 05:36:32 PST 2002

> If you wish to implement a digital signature standard that allows for
> tracking of so called official encodes then that is something that has
> potential to catch on. But I hardily see how it would align artists and
> listeners.

In that it would guarantee quality and authenticity without stopping playback.
For example, if a new 'lost' Nirvana track appeared on a particular site, we
could be suspicious if it wasn't signed by one of the two surviving members
of the band - assuming they could remember the recording session. (Alice
Cooper cliams to have blacked out for four albums). If it was signed, then we
would also know that the surviving artists were happy for it to be released.

> Programs could be made so that they will see the signature and warn the
> user that changing the tags or the vorbis stream in any way will invalidate
> the signature if the user tries to, but still allow him to do so and/or
> remove it if he wishes.

That sounds good to me.

> >using encryption for a positive purpose
> >would mean there was little - point in breaking it.
>
> If the encryption stops me from burning an audio CD with that material on
> it. Then its going to get broken no matter how positive the purpose.

I would regard stopping CD burning as a negative feature, in the literal sense
- taking away a function. If we only add functions, then there won't be the
motivation to break the system. DRM as it currently exists is like a sign in
the park saying 'no ball games'.

Cheers

Daniel