[advocacy] Happy New Year! RC3 Released!

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Jan 4 09:09:26 PST 2002

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 10:23:52AM +0000, Daniel James wrote:
> > Should you wish to support our efforts financially towards RC4 and
> > 1.0, please send your donations via PayPal to donate at xiph.org.
>
> Perhaps we can work PayPal (or a similar scheme) into the Ogg
> specification in such a way that we can counter accusations that
> Vorbis is not 'secure', or that it rips off artists. Since the rival
> proprietary codec manufacturers can't complain about quality or price
> gouging licences, I figure this will be their line of attack against
> 1.0.

PayPal is neither secure nor a regulated 'bank'.  They could disappear
next year.  I know you were mentioning PayPal as an illustrative
example, but the caution hold.  Well-meaning ideas often cause more
trouble than they're worth.

So, two big reasons we will not and cannot do this:

Xiph,Org is not in the business of running, regulating or enforcing a
micropayment scheme based on our tags.  It would make the liability
burden of swimming in technology-shark infested waters look
comparatively trivial.

The comment header is not intended for this.  Don't abuse the comment spec.

> The only drawback I can see is that people might want to change the
> PayPal tag before passing on the file in a p2p network, in order to
> divert cash to their own account. Not a lot you could do about that -
> since you could make an analogue source version of any music, however
> encrypted, and do it - but I guess it might lead to the culprit
> losing their PayPal account.

The abuses would only *start* there.

Monty