[advocacy] Sony going for Linux?

Daniel James daniel
Wed Feb 27 05:52:57 PST 2002

> > If Sony have a rival in
> > this market it is
> > the Nintendo Game Cube, according to my game-playing
> > friend.
>
> I am not into games, either but many economic papers
> point out that it is not the case: Nintendo wants to
> secure their market for kids while Sony and Microsoft
> aiming at kidalts.

My friend with the Game Cube (he had it specially imported from Asia
so he could be the first to have one in the UK...) is well into his
twenties, which puts him into the kidalt category I think.

Your point about ATRAC vs. Ogg is a good one, as we are talking about
a Sony product here. However, this is a third-party development
effort, so Sony company policy might not have such a strong bearing.

In any case, I expect that if PS2 Linux turns out to be useful, then
it will escape onto the market somehow, even without Sony's blessing.
There are a lot of those little black boxes out there, and once you
get fed up with the games...

Daniel