[advocacy] Hello from Squeak

Monty xiphmont
Tue Feb 5 23:13:16 PST 2002

On Sun, Dec 23, 2001 at 10:19:23PM -0800, Dan Ingalls wrote:
> Good People of Ogg -

...only those of us who are good? :-)

> However I recently read in your FAQ that Vorbis is only...  "part of
> the Ogg project, which is a blanket project designed to create a
> fully open multimedia system."  I would like to hear more about
> this, as it is close to the goals of the Squeak project in which I
> have been involved since its inception.

The intent is to provide, in a fully modern (ie, comparable or
superior performance) open protocols, an alternative to commodity
proprietary multimedia formats.  I don't honestly believe there's
money to be made from the protocols themselves, and that the only
reason they are proprietary is to provide lock-in or content controls
not in the public interest.

(that doesn't even get into the fact that intentional interopability
barriers for none other than corporate agenda reasons should make
engineers hang their heads in shame)

I've actually known about Squeak for some time, and a few friends here
in the MIT community are Squeak proponents.

> The obvious question is, could we be having more even more fun
> together as cooperating communities?  The topic of compression
> standards came up recently on the Squeak list and I and several others
> said we should at least support the Vorbis standard.  That's simple
> enough.  The question I have is, what more is there to the Ogg charter
> and work in progress, and is it possible that we could help to move
> things along, and crank up some other interesting projects?

After the release of Vorbis 1.0 (which, in many ways is the milestone
we're treating as our 'we're serious' message to the world'), we have
two major directional pushes:

1) document
2) flesh out the generic Ogg framework

These will keep us busy for some time.