[advocacy] Vorbis and google

David K. Gasaway dave at gasaway.org
Sat Feb 9 00:05:31 PST 2002

I've noticed that google hasn't indexed the main vorbis sites very well...

1) None of the mailing list archives are indexed.  Somebody, somewhere must have a link to an
archive article.  Wouldn't google chain through the rest of the archives from there?  Is google
(and others, but haven't tested them) blocked from indexing the archives?

2) Vorbis.com is not represented well.  When I search for "vorbis", I get these results:
Hit #12 - www.vorbis.com/music.html
Hit #21 - www.vorbis.com/webware.html
Other hits for vorbis.com are *way* down the list - somewhere past 250, though I know they're in
there somewhere.  For perspective, ogg-vorbis.com gets hit #5. Thankfully, xiph.org gets the #1
and #2 spots. :)

The way that I understand google's algorithm for weighing search hits, the above results just
don't seem right.

--
-:-:- David K. Gasaway
-:-:- XNS  : =David K Gasaway