[advocacy] Vorbis and google

Segher Boessenkool segher at chello.nl
Sat Feb 9 01:01:03 PST 2002

> > This is not true.  It even has the cvs-commit mailing list indexed.
>
> Really?  Can you give me an example search string that returns from the list archives?  I tried a
> number of different searches, and nothing worked.

Just search for "vorbis-dev".

> > http://www.vorbis.com  is a redirect.  Redirects are not valid google
> > search results.
>
> Hmm.  Are are saying just that one URL isn't a valid result?  What about...
>
> http://vorbis.com/index.psp

Yes, but noone links to there -- everyone just links to
http://vorbis.com .

> Anyway, looking again, maybe I do see the problem.  The hits I mentioned seem to be out-dated
> HTML pages.  Try "site:vorbis.com vorbis".  There are hits for some PSP (what is PSP anyway?)

PSP is "Python server page", I think.

> pages, *but* only ones that take a parameter, e.g.:
>
> www.vorbis.com/software.psp?pid=2

Not only those -- for example  http://www.vorbis.com/download.psp/  as well,
which is an error (trailing slash should be omitted).  Google doesn't index
vorbis.com, because the "/" url is a redirect.  A robots file could help here.
Google has only indexed the url's that got referred to from other sites.

It would be good if this problem got taken care of :)