[advocacy] Artist Licensing

Daniel James daniel
Mon Sep 17 06:50:26 PDT 2001

> How many people care to read documentation
> on personal license in reality?

Very few. What matters is that people who do care read it, and those
that don't believe that they are on the side of artists. If the
artists explicitly support music downloads and file sharing, that's
all most people want to know.

I could almost feel sorry for Metallica. Someone should have
explained to them about the internet, but instead they alienated
their fans and lost any credibility they once had. Actually I don't
feel sorry for them - corporate rock whores!

Most people believe they are on the side of artists rather than
record companies, even if they are going to gigs with a minidisc
recorder, or participating in the cottage industry of CD duplication
on consumer-quality equipment.  Very few people will say things like
'I support the music industry's right to screw as much as possible
out of musicians', apart from content industry lawyers.

Daniel