[advocacy] Trading of 'pirated' music online is wider than ever (my quotes)

Daniel James daniel
Mon Sep 10 07:05:18 PDT 2001

> > According to this site, the artists don't actually get that money
> > as yet.
>
> It doesn't make sense for them to get it.

The public might believe artists are getting the money - that's what
they've been told. Most people I know never trusted this, and buy CD
data media for music recordings, not the 'audio' CDR's.

>  _They_ in most cases
> aren't losing money, since they will never recoup past their
> advance.

Surely that's the record companies fault, though. I read an article
by Steve Albini (producer of records for the Pixies, PJ Harvey,
Nirvana and many others) that says record companies structure deals
so that artists don't pay back their advance even when they make a
ton of money for the label. That way the artist has to do what
they're told for the second album, since they 'owe' the label.

http://www.negativland.com/albini.html

I think free audio formats could do for musicians and music lovers
what free software has done for computing - but it's down to us to
make it happen. Which artist(s) should we approach next, assuming we
can't make contact with David Bowie? I guess Courtney Love and Rage
Against The Machine (for fairly obvious reasons), but I'm open to
suggestions.

Daniel