[advocacy] Re: Personal Music License

Richard Stallman rms
Sun Sep 9 08:04:03 PDT 2001

Bowie was the first major artist to release somgs
on the net. Way back in 95, um,  maybe 96, he put out a couple of remixes in mp2
of songs from an upcoming album.

I don't recall there being any restrictions attched.

First, I should point out that under US copyright law since 1989 or
so, the default is that copying of anything is prohibited unless it is
explicitly authorized.  So "no restrictions attached" doesn't mean
there were no restrictions.

But I don't know what he did.  If he did release songs in the way you
describe, then he is a great example, and your example is a factual
one.  In that case, I urge you to remove any and all words that cast
doubt on the actuality of the statement.  Why weaken your case?

But if you don't know he released songs in the way you describe, then
there's a good chance he did not.  And if he did not, everything I
said before applies.

If you don't have confidence in my advice, please find some friends,
journalists, or anyone who has experience in writing to support a
case, and ask them for advice about this.  If they disagree with me,
then you can proceed as you have planned with confidence.