[advocacy] Re: Personal Music License

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Tue Sep 4 14:27:59 PDT 2001

    > I got the feeling that your goal includes giving people the right
    > to share music privately, even if they get it from CDs.  But if the
    > CDs are not released under this license, then this license won't
    > achieve that goal.

Please note that I am not asking you to deal with this in any
particular way.  I am not sure what is best to do.  I brought this up
because at present it is, in a sense, a contradiction in the text.
People who notice it will feel that you have overlooked it.

There is more than one way to resolve this.  I hope you will resolve
it somehow, so that readers won't feel you have overlooked something.

    On the other hand let's imagine that there's an artist called David
    Bowie, who understands how the internet works. He's savvy enough
    about the content industry to have set up his own publishing company,
    so he owns the rights to his own songs. He lets us download his work
    and share it freely with his blessing,

Does David Bowie in fact do this?