[advocacy] The record industry strikes back

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Mon Oct 22 07:39:50 PDT 2001

> I meant only the aspect that allows artists to
> release their works on the net and get paid.

I think PayPal or similar donations are probably the best way for
musicians to get paid at the moment. I don't think any artist could
be guaranteed to have a 'hit' if they released SDMI-type files,
including the really famous ones. I hope when they do appear for
high-profile releases, they will be boycotted by listeners, who know
when they're being fleeced. As for less well known artists, what are
their chances of making a living out of pay-to-play download files?

> I assume that you are tying to argue that most artists
> cannot make money with the record industry, neither.

Yes. Even a lot of the ones who have been well known in the past. By
any analysis, the proportion of very rich (and still alive) musicians
is a tiny one. Well-known DJ's and producers get more demo CD's in
the post than they could ever listen to, let alone play on air or
invite for a session - there must be millions of musicians. An artist
has to be really world-wide popular before they can dictate their own
terms to the record company - and there's only a handful of those.

> In terms of
> computer programs, third companies can make money with
> additional services and give support to the
> programmers.  How does it work in the case of GPL
> media contents in practice?

Touring, media appearances and merchandising, just like for the
artists with a record deal. Of course, the artist has to make sure
that they're not getting the same deal on T-shirts as they get for
CDs...

> You mentioned CD selling
> but, for example, burning Linux distributions to CDs
> and sending them to users are not the major income of
> the third companies dealing with Linux.

Sure, but the economics of music CD's are not the same as software. I
think most people would be happy to pay $10 for a 'silver' CD with a
good booklet if they thought $9 went to the artist. Besides, you
don't get charged $5000 for a Michael Jackson CD with a ten-listener
licence.

> aren't you going to advocate
> on the net?

That's what I'm trying to do! Contacts with artists and journalists
on music papers/magazines are needed especially. Any leads?

Daniel