[advocacy] Fwd: Ogg Vorbis/Interview request/French press

Oyvind A. Holm sunny at ba.no
Fri Oct 12 16:40:13 PDT 2001

On 2001-10-12 12:06:58-0400 Laetitia.Mailhes at ft.com wrote:

> Also, I have a question: two arguments against Ogg Vorbis are:
>
> 1/ people will be very reluctant to switch to the new format when
> they have all their music collection in MP3

At one point or another, they will have to. Most new players will
support the .ogg format, so this will not be a big issue. The user also
doesn't own his/her files, in the future Fraunhofer and their kind
surely will demand some kind of fee even to play the files. The variety
of MP3 players will soon decline, and there is a chance the free
encoders/decoders might disappear in a few years. The MP3 technology is
also a very old (but still a good one) format which could use a
face-lifting. Ogg Vorbis is designed for STORAGE - life-long enjoyment
done The Right Way - from storing internal text in UTF-8 to using
superior acoustic logarithms which surely will improve in the future.
And we have those patent issues, of course. Imagine the LP records
being patented and you had to pay a small amount every time you played
it. Ogg is better in every respect. Make the change quick and painless.
All new music is recorded in Ogg, don't look back, and soon the MP3
files has become the minority and you'll regret you didn't make the
change much earlier.

> 2/ Ogg Vorbis makes it difficult today to produce copyright-protected
> material

Not at all. Using digital signing services like "PGP Digital
Timestamping Service" <http://www.itconsult.co.uk/stamper.htm> and the
like, combined with for example GnuPG <http://www.gnupg.org>
signatures, you will be able to prove ownership of your work.

Øyvind

| Fingerprint: EAE5 DCA0 0626 5DAA 72F8  0435 2E2B E476 AD19 826C   |
+=========== 2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2. ============+