[advocacy] Fwd: Ogg Vorbis/Interview request/French press

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Fri Oct 12 15:15:56 PDT 2001

Anyone else care to help? My reply is pasted at the end of this mail.

Daniel

Subject: Ogg Vorbis/Interview request/French press
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 12:06:58 -0400
From: Laetitia.Mailhes at ft.com
To: daniel at mondodesigno.com

Daniel,

I am a San Francisco-based correspondent for Les Echos, the French
sister-newspaper of The Financial Times.

I'm working on a story about Ogg Vorbis and I am looking for comments
 from people who know the format and understand online music.

Would you allow me to use some quotes form your article "Why artists
 shoud use Ogg Vorbis"? Of course, they would be credited to you. If
 so, how shall I describe you (title? claim to fame?)

Also, I have a question: two arguments against Ogg Vorbis are:
1/ people will be very reluctant to switch to the new format when
 they have all their music collection in MP3
2/ Ogg Vorbis makes it difficult today to produce copyright-protected
material

I'd very much like to hear your comments.

I thank you for your consideration and I am looking forward to
 hearing from you.

Best regards,

Laetitia Mailhes

Laetitia Mailhes -- IT Correspondent
LES ECHOS -- A Pearson Company
www.lesechos.fr
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
251 Post Street Suite 200
San Francisco, CA94108
tel. (415) 445 5634
fax (415) 445 5615

> Would you allow me to use some quotes form your article "Why
> artists shoud use Ogg Vorbis"?

Certainly!

> how shall I describe you (title? claim to fame?)

Daniel James of LinuxUser magazine

> 1/ people will be very reluctant to switch to the new format when
> they have all their music collection in MP3

This is really a non-issue since the popular players (even the
Windows Media Player) support both formats with the appropriate
plug-in. The early hardware players can't play the new format, but
that goes for all new formats, including the so-called 'secure' ones.
The Iomega HipZip plays Ogg Vorbis files and it's just been reduced
in price to US $149 at iomega.com - cheap really.

> 2/ Ogg Vorbis makes it difficult today to produce
> copyright-protected material

All music that's copyrighted is protected by copyright. Technical
solutions to the file sharing 'problem' don't work, because music
lovers don't want them to work. Besides, if the record companies
would only admit it, shared music files actually increase CD sales.
We're much more likely to buy a CD from an artist we've heard than
one we haven't.

Due to the open-source nature of Ogg Vorbis, the format calls into
question the assumptions behind the industry position on the control
of digital music. We're unlikely to see an SDMI approved version of
Ogg Vorbis, but it's conceivable that officially released .ogg files
could be signed with an encryption key. This would prove that the
artist was happy for the music to be freely shared on the internet.

Cheers

Daniel