[advocacy] Question on Personal License

Bacchus Thirteen bacchus_t at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 1 09:11:37 PST 2001

--- Daniel James <daniel at mondodesigno.com> wrote:

>the license, just that it's an option which suits
> internet
> distribution better than conventional copyright
> notices.

Yes, as well as Ogg, Personal Lisence is an
alternative.  I agree with you.

> >The rich and
> > famous artists have already gained something
>
> But to stay rich and famous they have to stay
> popular, and
> legitimised peer-to-peer file sharing can help them
> do that.
>
> On the other hand they can go down the Michael
> Jackson route. Spend
> millions on the album, then release it on a
> non-standard CD to make
> compression encoding inconvenient. Sit music
> journalists in a dark
> locked room and make them listen to the album,
> hoping they'll agree
> to hype it as a condition of being let out.
>
> > while
> > nameless artists won't lose anything.
>
> I agree they have less vested interests in the
> current system. They
> can chase the dream of being the content industry's
> next Cinderella,
> or they can start having people hear their music
> today.

This time, you make it clear that there are pros and
cons of artists' choices.  I really appreciate that
much better than 'cheap journalist tricks.'  I think
that honesty is a thing that lacks in the software and
the record industry.

Well...then, again, the problem is that we haven't got
many musicians here.  I like computer literates
preventing computer illiterates like me from stating
non-senses here.  (Thank you, Beni.)  However, if
artists simply don't know their choices, I think it is
a loss for them as well as ours.

In the users list, the results of the pre-release test
on RC3 seems to be promising.  However, without
contents, a good music format does not mean much.  I
hope what you are doing goes well, Daniel.

Bacchus