[advocacy] OGG Vorbis support (fwd)

Joe Laas joelaas
Wed Jul 11 17:38:00 PDT 2001

cben at crosswinds.net writes:

> Here is te mail I sent to Ahead software (that make the popular Nero
> CD-burning software). Is this a good kind of an email? What other
points
> can be made in such an email? (I liked the idea that "what I put on CD
> want to be free to read in the future").

i think the basic idea is very good, and we should do as much as we can
to raise the same points with any other companies who manufacture
rippers, encoders, or players.

i have a Rio 500 portable and i absolutely love it, so here is my
contribution.
the contacts at SonicBlue (formerly S3/Diamond Multimedia) are as
follows:

Product support / technical support:
- phone: (541) 967-2450
- email: customersupport at sonicblue.com

Pre-sales / customer support (their web page says to use this line only
for
questions such as "which product is for me?" and, more importantly,
"will
it work on my computer?"):
- phone: (800) 468-5846

General web page:
http://www.riohome.com/

important point: the newer Rio models (500, 600, 800) all say "firmware
upgradeable to support future formats" prominently on the packaging, so
presumably there *is* a way to port a vorbis decoder to their existing
hardware.

if anyone is really ambitious and/or resourceful, the president of the
Rio
division is a guy named Jim Cady, but i wasn't able to locate his email
address.

i got the impression from talking to them (many times) that they *might*

respond to customer demand for vorbis if and only if they get enough
interest. so the more people contact them saying "where's vorbis?", the
better (within reason).

just my $0.02,

fp