[advocacy] Advocating Ogg Vorbis audio

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Tue Jul 3 11:04:21 PDT 2001

> 2) is much harder - despite all the help it will get as the competition institutes increasingly arcane restrictions on behalf of media congloms,
> it's going to require some major artist (Radiohead, perhaps) to become
> totally inspired by the spirit of GPL to get the 'kids' on board..

While I agree that a well known artist signing onto the Vorbis bandwagon
would help us quite a bit, I disagree that this is what it takes to gain
inertia.

For starters, none of the codecs prospered because artists liked them.
Plenty of artists condemn MP3 and plenty others endorse WMA, and yet MP3
is still dominant, and no one wants to touch WMA.

We've been gaining a lot of inertia by just doing a kick ass job.  We
need to build more.  Asking artists to support it is a good idea.  I'm
involved in a few pockets of unsigned artists, and I've been promoting
it there, and for the most part it is well received.

If you know artists, get the word out :)

> That said I think there could/should  be a definite thrust to
> proselytize to appliance manufacturers so that it is in the
> next gen of disc players. (I notice that the newer mp3 cd walkmans
> in NYC consumer stores now boast wma..) - start with APEX..

Get us an email address, and let's start inquiring.  I haven't talked
with Apex yet.  So let's start there :)

> I don't think casual users care so much, what is needed is
> good lo-bitrate codecs and drag & drop - Mac & Win compatibility
> (128k minimum as of now, right? and some issues still with
> handling wacky source? ) - better to hold off til that's there..

Drag and drop is there, for both mac and win.  Low bitrates are coming
soon enough.

jack.