[advocacy] Ogg Vorbis search mode?

Daniel James daniel
Tue Dec 4 04:05:17 PST 2001

Hello,

I've been using Google since the 'beta' days, and it's really made
the web at lot more useful for me - thanks!

I've been trying to think of ways to help promote the open source Ogg
Vorbis audio format over the proprietary alternatives, and it
occurred to me that since you can now Google for images, it would be
great if you could search the web for .ogg files too. Since they have
text comments, it shouldn't be too difficult to find a way of doing
it.

The obvious objection is that the likes of the RIAA would be on your
back about unauthorised copies of music files. But a really good
audio file search engine would help copyright owners track down
infringing files too, so it would be a neutral tool. Besides, I
believe that most unauthorised music files are outside of the visible
web.

Cheers

Daniel James