[vorbis] BSD License

Ralph Giles giles at ashlu.bc.ca
Tue Feb 27 10:48:23 PST 2001

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 09:39:40PM +0000, Michael Smith wrote:

> >in short: I want to compile oggenc for OS/2 Warp. Which are
> >the licence conditions to distribute the EXE for free, e.g.
> >on the HOBBES server (hobbes.nmsu.edu)? For the GNU licence,
> >I have learned to add the source code and, of course, the original
> >licence declaration. Which are the conditions now under BSD?
>
> Include the license file. Nothing else is required (a README with
> pointers to www.xiph.org and/or www.vorbis.com, including pointers to
> where you can get source, would be appreciated, though.)

Um, according to the press release and current cvs, oggenc itself is
still under the GPL. Only the license on the vorbis and ogg libraries
was changed. Therefore if you want to distribute a binary of oggenc, you
must still make the entire source available. The GPL supercedes the BSD
license in this case.

The point of the switch is that if you write your own encoder/player,
you're free to use the BSD library code and distribute binaries without
restriction.

 -ralph

P.S. to Michael: please fix the word-wrap in your email client