[vorbis] Ogg Voxpop

Michael Smith msmith at xn.com.au
Mon Feb 12 22:47:44 PST 2001

> Would it be crazy to try to embed a GSM stream into an Ogg
> stream?  How does Ogg relate to the RTP (Real-time Transport
> Protocol) of RFC-1890?

RTP covers almost all of what the Ogg layer does. An RTP streamer for
vorbis would not use Ogg at all (except in decoding it from on-disk
files, perhaps - the actual streaming wouldn't, though).

Encapsulating GSM in ogg should be doable - I don't know much about GSM
at the bitstream level, but it DOES provide a lot of stuff which isn't
neccesary/useful when using ogg, such as error detection (and
correction?). Ogg will just drop the entire page (usually around 4kB of
data - a LOT at GSM-like bitrates) if there's any error in it.

However, making it work should be pretty simple - the ogg framing is
straightforward, and the API makes it fairly use to use. GSM, I imagine,
has something analogous to the vorbis packet - so you just use that in
place of the vorbis packets. Then it's just a matter of defining (if
neccesary - it may not be) some sort of special header packet, and
writing that out first.

Michael