[vorbis] Mono wavs with b4

Moritz Grimm maxx at kolabore.de
Tue Feb 27 03:13:08 PST 2001

Michael Smith wrote:
> > A nice side-effect would be the transparent encoding of
> >non-44.1kHz waves ... getting ~70kbit/s when using -b 112 is somewhat
> >irritating.
> As I said, it doesn't scale the bitrate properly for other sample rates, but it will for 1.0. vorbis will produce transparent encoding at that sort of bitrate for lower sample rates - but right now, it's completely untuned for other sample rates, so quality suffers. The -m option was removed in favour of a more accurate -b, but some of the backend work in libvorbis to make this a complete solution isn't done yet.

I see it from the users point of view ... I really appreciate the -b
option, but when I tell it to use an average bitrate of e.g. 128kbit/s,
I want it to give me that bitrate - regardless of the amount of channels
and samplerate. There might always be some special situation when
someone would want to encode a 22kHz, mono file with ... let's say
256kbit/s (don't ask for any sense, but you never know what users need
to do). Right now, the respective user would have to use the option -b
350 to roughly get the 256kbit/s for this file. This doesn't make any
sense, and for stereo vs. mono it wouldn't make sense either.

The -b option alone is more useful than a -m option (especially
regarding streaming, for preview reasons), but in order to get the
planned features to work, the -b option would become extremely
confusing. That's why I suggest to somehow reimplement the -m option
(let's hope it's possible anyways) for an overall use of oggenc that is
more straightforward. I say it again, I would NOT want the -b option to
be removed. It's just a matter of understanding what an option does ...
a "set average bitrate option" shouldn't be scaled to other bitrates.

Moritz