[vorbis] Comparison Between MP3 and Vorbis

Joseph A. Martin martinja at ice-works.com
Wed Apr 12 08:37:26 PDT 2000

Hello All,
        I realize that I am using pre-release code. I realize that the
bitstream format will change in a couple of days. I realize that at
this point comparisons between MP3 and Vorbis still don't mean much.
BUT I couldn't resist. I ripped a random track off of one of my CDs
and did some comparisons between Vorbis and MP3. I thought you guys
might be interested in the results.

Info:
        MP3 encoder was notlame using VBR encoding. Minimum bitrate
        was 112KB/s. Maximum bitrate was 256 KB/s.

        OGG encoder was sample_encoder from CVS source. XMMS reports
        bitrate as 140KB/s.

Wave File Size: 52,454,348 byes
Wave Play Time: 4:57 minutes

MP3 Encode Time:       16:10 minutes
MP3 File Size:         5,848,223 bytes
Playback CPU Usage:    3%-4%

OGG Encode Time:       9:31 minutes
OGG File Size:         5,226,262 bytes
Playback CPU Usage:    44%-50%

Stats:
        OGG encode 41% faster than MP3 encode
        OGG file 11% smaller than MP3 file size
        OGG plays with 92% more CPU time than MP3

        MP3 achieves 9:1 compression ratio
        OGG achieves 10:1 compression ratio

similiar sizes resulting from the method with which I usually encode
MP3s. CPU time for playing is much, much too high. There may be
inefficiencies in the XMMS plugin or in the libvorbis library. I do
not know which to blame.

Is the efficiency playing Vorbis/.ogg files expected to improve? Is
that just an artifact of being pre-release, unoptimized code?

later,
joseph

P.S. I compiled everything using the default Makefiles (produced after
running ./configure). Compiler is gcc 2.95.2, system is Debian
GNU/Linux unstable (woody).

--
the "LaterDude"
ICQ: 52640402
martinja at ice-works.com
http://www.ice-works.com/personal/LaterDude/index.html

All opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of
my employer unless otherwise noted.