[xiph-rtp] theora-rtp

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 13:15:47 PDT 2008

On 8/20/08, Omer Boyaci <boyaci at cs.columbia.edu> wrote:
> I believe that, the life will be easy for developers of different
> systems
> if there would be an RFC for theora.

Yes, indeed, but as you have heard it is being worked on, so expect it
to show up sooner or later.  Meanwhile, as Luca explained, the
depackatization will follow a very similar logic to the one described
in the RFC for Vorbis RTP, so instead of creating different
implementations programmers are invited to study that RFC plus Theora
RTP's draft (while its own RFC is not available).

Also useful for those who wish to use audio alongside Theora but
require something more optimized for voice, you should look into the
Speex RTP spec, http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-speex-05
soon to become an RFC as well.

> We have also developed an application and desktop sharing system which
> supports theora

Cool.

> but I used my own payload format in the
> implementation due to lack of an RFC spec for theora.

Not so cool.

> We will also preparing an RFC for application and desktop sharing. It
> will support all media formats, but we will recommend Theora because
> it is good enough, open source and license free.

Thank you.  That's very good to hear.

> Also, MJPEG--RTP RFC gives some example C code for de/packetization. I
> believe, Luca can also add an appendix with some reference code from
> gstreamer code base.

There's also some code available in https://svn.xiph.org but I am not
sure how useful it is at the moment.

-Ivo