[xiph-rtp] linphone-1.5.0 mostly complies to theora over RTP draft

Simon Morlat simon.morlat at linphone.org
Wed Oct 11 23:44:32 PDT 2006

Hello,

Finally after all the discussions we had together here, and the clarifications
you made to me, I implemented a compliant theora-RTP usage into
linphone-1.5.0 (an audio/video SIP phone).
It's in file mediastreamer2/src/theora.c for those who are curious.
- it uses the packed conf technique (which I still found the easiest and more
flexible way in a SIP/SDP context )
- unfortunately I said "mostly compliant" because it won't accept several
theora frames grouped into one single RTP packet... Maybe a SDP parameters
suchs a=fmtp:XX maxframes=1 would be necessary to indicate this limitations
to the remote implementation.
- in order to dynamically limit bandwidth according to capabilities of both
sides, I used the b=AS SDP header, which is the most suitable technique whose
meaning is independant from any codec details.

No interroperability test yet, perhaps linphone is the first SIP videophone
using theora. Have you heard of any other ?
So there may be some bugs...

See http://www.linphone.org

Thanks to everybody here who made this possible,

Simon