[xiph-rtp] linphone-1.5.0 mostly complies to theora over RTP draft

Simon Morlat simon.morlat at linphone.org
Tue Nov 7 01:35:58 PST 2006

> I didn't state it as strict requirement, would be a problem if I restate
> it as a MUST? The reason is that this way you should cut some latency
> (maybe it's pretty equal) and at least the first (and in many cases
> only) stream will be decoded for sure (since sdp is delivered reliably).

Actually it is; in order to provide a theora config string in the SDP, I must
before configure my theora encoder with a theora_info, and in order to do
that, I must have the requirements from the remote phone in terms of
bandwidth, to set a correct bitrate into the theora_info.
That 's the reason why I prefered sending the packed_conf within the RTP
stream.
Otherwise it would not be possible to do that with only 2 SDP messages.

> Client anyway already MUST be able to understand it.
I have no problem with that requirement. But I think it is powerfull that
clients may not provide config in the SDP, but only after the SDP exchange is
done, because this is the moment where all receive capabilities are known by
both ends, thus theora encoders can be configured with accurate parameters.

Simon